Whakatu Nelson's leader in the technical management of professional performance venues.
We are proud to be the kaitiaki for two of our cities recently refurbished heritage venues in the Theatre Royal and Nelson Centre of Musical Arts (formerly the Nelson School Of Music).
On their behalf, we manage all aspects of their venue's sound, lighting and rigging systems including:
- Communicating with and making local arrangments for touring productions or performing artists.
- Providing on the ground support for all venue users, particularly at times of venue alterations (pack-in and pack-out).
- Training and co-ordinating Venue Technical Staff.
- Creating venue guidelines/protocols, that foster a positive culture and promote industry best safe working practices
- The creation of technical documents including venue specifications and staff/crew resources.
- Developing and delivering training to our community users.
- Regular maintenance regimes
VenueTech are the technical management providers to
Technical Management Services Include
But are not limited to:
Venue Technical Specifications
Communicate your venue's critical details to your hirers including dimensions, systems overviews, and equipment inventories.
Useful guides for venue staff or hirers that explain how to accomplish a particular task.
Technical riders for touring shows
If you're taking a show on the road, communicating your production needs to each festival or venue can be a real challenge. We can work with you to create a technical rider, a single concise document for this purpose.
We read well in the vicinity of 300 tech riders a year, so we know exactly what information venues and festivals are looking for - and how to present it clearly.
Extend the life of your equipment and keep your facility compliant with regular maintenance including:
- Periodic systems checks
- Lighting fixture service and repair
- Annual testing and tagging of electrical appliances including lighting fixtures, speakers, mixing/control desks, extension cables, muti-boxes etc *
- Annual certification and load testing of rigging components*
- Quarterly servicing of EWP's and access equipment.
- Fire-treatment of drapery and soft-goods*
We can also source a wide range of technical consumables and spares for common equipment.
*Required under current Health and Safety legislation.
Each year we work with a wide range of venues, technical systems, production styles, and touring professionals. Each production reveals yet more approaches and use of systems, experiences we can draw on when advising our clients.
We provide ongoing technical consultancy to our core venues, the Theatre Royal and Nelson Centre of Musical Arts, and were involved with the redevelopment of the latter and Suter Theatre.
We also advise regularly advise secondary schools and tertiary educators on their equipment upgrades, and countless productions on general theatre craft techniques.
Crew & Equipment Coordination
Lighting, sound, AV, staging, masking, rigging and more!
We may not have it on our inventory, but we'll likely know who will.
We can source production equipment and coordinate freight so everything we need is onsite, on-time.
Technicians & Crew
Whether you need a set of strong arms to help unload the truck or skilled technicians who can design and operate to a high standard.
We create custom educational workshops.
For groups of one to many, we tailor each session to existing skill levels and can deliver material about various disciplines that fall under technical production, stage-craft or production management.
Suitable for individuals, venues, schools, events, or performance groups of any age. Popular sessions include basic lighting, basic sound, sound design for theatre and lighting design for theatre - or anything you want to learn about.
We speak fluent tech, so why not leave those tricky conversations to us?
We can communicate directly with a show's production or technical team, review their plans and provide them with valuable feedback based on our experience and in-depth knowledge of your venue.